Hi there! I’m Dani from High Walls, here to share another craft project with you!
Today I’m going to show you how to make a ‘collar’ necklace using oven bake polymer clay. Polymer clay is such a versatile crafting medium, it’s one of my personal favourites. I always have a few packets of clay sitting on my desk for when the crafting mood strikes. It is affordable and easy to use and just perfect for jewellery making! All you need is some oven bake polymer clay, leather cord and some ribbon and you can whip up your own stylish necklace in next to no time!
Here’s what you do:
1. Knead the polymer clay between your hands until soft and pliable.
2. Using a rolling pin, roll out the clay to around a 3mm thickness. To ensure the clay is smooth and doesn’t stick to the rolling pin, roll the clay between two sheets of baking paper (which will also make it easier to transfer to a tray later).
3. Make a template for the collar shape using paper; cut out two half oval shapes with a long straight side and a curved side. The size and shape of your collar all depends on your own taste.
4. Softly press the paper templates onto the clay and smooth down so they stay in place. Using a sharp knife, cut around the templates and clear away any excess clay.
5. Starting from one end, gently press flat end of a wooden skewer into the clay along the curved edge making a series of circular indentations to give the impression of scalloped edges.
6. Use the pointed end of the skewer to make holes in each point and test that your leather cord with fit through.
7. Smooth away any rough edges and place the clay pieces onto a baking tray and bake in the oven according to the instructions on the packet (generally around 5 minutes) Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
8. Take a piece of leather cord around 10 cm / 4 in long. Tie a ribbon around the center of the cord into a secure bow. Then thread the cord between the two center holes of each clay piece and tie firmly, with the knotted cord at the back and the bow sitting at the front in between the two collar pieces.
9. Take two lengths of leather cord (around 20 cm / 8 in each) and thread the end of each through the opposite ends of each clay piece. Secure by making a large knot in the cord in cord and pulling the open end back.
Tie around your neck and you are ready to go! Try different colours, shapes, patterns or even paint your clay (after baking) for your own truly unique collar necklace. Starting with this basic design, there really are so many possibilities, so get a little creative!
Dani (DIY Craft contributor)
click here for more diy craft by dani!