Hi! Dani here from the blog High Walls. For this month’s DIY Craft project, I thought I’d share an easy way to make over old shoe boxes or gift boxes to your own taste.
My local craft store had a bunch of little boxes marked down after a toddler with a marker rampaged through their gift wrapping aisle. A bargain for sure, but I obviously needed to make them a little more presentable before using them.
The easiest way to freshen up cardboard boxes is to cover them with some paper and washi tape. Its super quick and you can make a whole set of matching boxes without having to go out and purchase new ones when you already have perfectly good boxes in your home. Shoe boxes or old product boxes will do the trick as well.
Gift Box, Shoe Box (or something similar)
1. Cut out a paper cover for each side of the box. Roughly judge the paper size against the side of the box; it doesn’t need to be exact, just leave around 1cm extra on the top to fold over.
2. One side at a time, apply a thin and even coat of craft glue across the surface and stick the paper cover firmly down (leaving the 1cm extra at the top of the box.
3. Once you have attached all 4 sides (and the bottom) fold in the excess paper inside the rim and glue down.
4. To cover the lid, cut out a piece of paper around 1-2 inches larger than the lid. Stick the lid down onto the center of the paper. Cut away a square from each corner, so that you can fold the excess paper in over the sides of the lid. Glue down.
5. Once all sides are dry, apply strips of washi tape over the edges. Half the washi tape should sit over each side of the corner sides. This will cover up any rough edges on the paper covers.
Using this simple method you can repurpose any old boxes you have laying around the house into pretty storage boxes or even refreshed gift boxes!
Dani (DIY Craft contributor)
click here for more diy craft by dani!